- Theda Lee Balmes Jones was born March 30, 1925 in Oroville, and passed away on Dec. 13, 2011.
- While growing up in Oroville, she helped in the family orchards and various duties such as making fruit packing boxes, picking cherries and apples at the Oro Fruit Warehouse, in which her family was part owners. She graduated from Oroville with the Class of 1944. After graduation she went to the Morse School of Cosmetology in Spokane, then went on to Los Angeles, Calif., to continue her education at Sullivan Beauty School and Charles of the Ritz. She began working as a cosmetologist with Mary Hallesworth Salon in Beverly Hills. Theda was licensed in three states in Cosmetology: Washington, Idaho and California.
- She was married to John W. Jones in June 1948 where they lived in Wallace, Idaho for a short time and returned to Oroville in 1950 where she opened a beauty salon in Oroville and worked in the family orchards until retiring in 1990. She also enjoyed serving many years on the Election/Counting Board, loved to site see the area-going to Lost Lake to camp with her family, going back to the Ruby Mine, loved to dance and roller skate at the “Zippy” building and loved history and politics. Theda lived a short time in Burlington, Wash., but moved back to Oroville in 1995. Theda loved her dogs and cats and told many stories about them. She has seen the majority of changes in her 86 years that have taken place in the Oroville area.
- She lovingly took care of her parents, Oliver and Gleneva Balmes and her sister Lita Balmes Gould, who preceded her in death.
- Theda had three children: Lana Riedel (Wes) of Mount Vernon, Wash. Glenna Morgan of Oroville and John Jones of Oroville. She has three grandchildren and one great grandchild.
- Bergh’s Funeral Services in Oroville will be in charge of arrangements for services on Jan. 7, 2012 at 11 a.m.. Please share your thoughts and memories by signing Theda’s online guestbook at www.berghfuneralservice.com.
Link copied to clipboard!