Theodore Huber

Theodore Huber
Theodore Huber

Theodore Huber, 87, left this earth after living a long, colorful and adventurous life, with his wife, daughter Terri, granddaughter Jaclyn, Monte and Pam as his side Nov., 11, 2015, Veterans Day. Mr. Huber was retired from the U S Air Force.

Ted, was born on June 11, 1928 in Medford, Ore., to Avery and Howard Shoults. His youth in Oregon was filled with many outdoor activities. His love of fishing and being outdoors would stay with him throughout his life. He loved Spaniels and would have a loyal canine companion throughout his entire life, Brittanys, Cockers, and Springers.

The Boy Scouts of America was his early foundation and true to his character, he was awarded the highest level of Eagle Scout. His son David and grandson would follow the tradition.

Theodore was a life member of the NRA, of North American Hunting Club and American Legion. He was also a member and monthly contributor of the Wounded Warrior Project, Bass Club, Boone and Crocket, and one of the Founders of the USAS Legacy in Tonasket.

After attending college in Oregon where he was on the diving team, Ted enlisted in the United States Air Force where he traveled to air bases across the country and overseas, to be involved in setting up air traffic control systems. The next years were spent raising a family at many Air Force base locations in California, Spain, Montana, Korea, New Mexico, Alaska, Spokane, and Tacoma.

He found adventure and a high level of activity everywhere he went. He was an avid photographer and created an extensive photo library. Slide shows complete with popcorn were a common family entertainment.

In California, he was a founding member of a ski club where they built a rope tow to enjoy on the weekends. Summers were spent at the beach and waterskiing off the coast in the Pacific Ocean.

While stationed in Spain, where Terri was born, he fished in the Pyrenees and travelled throughout all of Europe. He ran with the bulls in Pamplona.

In Montana, his time was spent fishing for Northern Pike and hunting. The flat terrain there had him being pulled behind the car on his skis in the winter!

He spent a year on Duty in Alaska during the Earthquake in 1964 where he hunted and fished to his heart’s content. Many 40+ pound salmon, huge trout, and countless elk and caribou were his trophies.

New Mexico had many different sights to see and photograph. Many weekends were spent at White Sands Missile Base, picnicking and sledding down the sand dunes. He also managed to find snow in the winter for the family to play in.

During the last several years of his service, he trained Air Traffic Controllers at McChord AFB.

After retiring from the Air Force, he began a career at the U.S. Postal Service where he worked until he retired for the second time. He settled in Tonasket after having had a hunting cabin in the area for many years. He started Tunk Mountain Taxidermy, which kept him busy until he was well into his 70s’.

He was a man who could do anything he set his mind to and was the original Do-It-Yourself man. He brewed his own beer and root beer, built his own smoker, upholstered furniture, built a camper from a kit, a fireplace by hand and was a competent mechanic.

His biggest accomplishment in the D.I.Y. area was when he built his log house (not cabin) on Tunk Mountain. His family spent some very cold time during the winter while the house was being built. Sleeping in campers and tents the kids washing with cold water in the mornings before heading to school in Tonasket.

He loved motorcycles of all kinds and all of his kids could ride at a young age, 2,3 and 4 wheelers.

He had a road bike that he took on many trips.

He was a member of the Tacoma Agate Club and we collected a lot of rocks and polished them in out tumbler.

He also collected coins and stamps and neatly cataloged them.

He holds records in Boon & Crockett and has many mounts in his house and on display in Sportsman’s Warehouse. He spent many weeks pack-in hunting in Montana and in the Methow wilderness.

Life in Tonasket, allowed him to enjoy all of his favorite activities and some new ones. His many friends included ranchers and orchardists’ starting every day at Shannons’ for coffee. He helped during cattle roundups and spent a lot of time on horseback.

He was involved with the Omak stampede for many years and was the Director of the rodeo grounds. He also manned the horse rescue boat in the river at the bottom of the Suicide Race. He received a certificate of appreciation, for his dedication to the Okanogan County Sheriffs’ Posse in 1993.

His love of snow skiing was a big part of his life, and in his later years he was able to ski not only close to home, but on trips to Colorado and as far away as New Zealand with his skiing buddies, Burt Jellison and “ Crazy Gene” Smith.

Countless family, old and young, will remember him always as the person who taught them to fish, clean them, and who gave them the lifetime love of fishing, hunting and being outdoors.

On his 60th birthday, he jumped out of a plane. At 68, he went on a horseback-pack trip in Alaska to shoot a goat and Dall sheep. His log home was built to display his successful hunts and fish.

He loved being with people, talking, teaching, sharing, he touched many lives in many ways. He enjoyed singing karaoke at the Eagles with friends and granddaughter Maddy. His summers were spent a full rotation of grandchildren on the mountain.

Skin as brown as coffee from many shirtless days in the sun. An infectious smile and laugh that lit up his face. Stories that were so wild that you would question their truth if you didn’t know them to be true.

While he was the true definition of a man’s man, Ted loved the ladies and was a hopeless flirt right up until the end.

He was loved by many as a son, father, brother, husband, uncle, nephew, grampa, papa, cousin and friend.

Theodore was preceded in death by his father, Howard Shoults; mother Avery Shoults; brother Roger and one great-grandson.

He is survived by his wife, Mary Beaton; brothers , Fred Huber and Wally Shoults; sons, Patrick, Glenn (Joann) Huber, David (Dana) Huber; daughters Terri ( Athol)Layton ,Deanna (Lonnie) Fowler; 11 grandchildren; one great-grandchild; four step-sons , Michael ( Brenda) Beaton, Mitchell ( Laura) Beaton, Monte ( Pam) Beaton, Matthew ( Lisa) Beaton; one step-daughter Melissa ( Mike ) Oldow, 17 Beaton grandchildren; six great-grandchildren and many hunting cousins.

Papa and all of his stories, fishing skills and lessons will be missed beyond words. We are very grateful for the team of doctors and nurses that gave him constant tender care at North Central Hospital ICU.

His family will be honored with your presence at a Full Military service, 2:30 p.m., Saturday December 12, 2015, at the US Armed services legacy of which he was so proudly was a part of, followed by gathering of his friends and family at the Tonasket Eagles. Mr. Huber was very loyal to his friends. You have all been so very kind and giving at a very unsettling time for us.

Thank you.