Live music at Esther Bricques
- OROVILLE -Tonight’s performance at Esther Bricques Winery’s tasting room Thursday, Aug. 23 will feature music performed by Ray Dispenza on guitar, Patti Bell as vocalist and on flute, Steve Bell on conga drum and Steve Pollard on bass. The following week on Aug. 30 will feature Reed Engel and Sandy Vaughn performing together. Doors open at 6 p.m. Light refreshments are available. Esther Bricques Winery is located at 42 Swanson Mill Road, Oroville. For more information, please call the winery at (509) 476-2861.
Back to School in Tonasket
- TONASKET – New student registration, office hours 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. New student scheduling and class changes begins Monday, Aug. 20. Locker check out begins Wednesday, Aug. 22. All outstanding fines must be paid prior to locker checkout. Back to School Open House Tuesday, Aug. 28. BBQ at 5:30 p.m. Classroom visits 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. New student orientation 6 p.m. to 6:45 p.m. First day of school Aug. 29 at 8:30 a.m. with Back to School Assembly – Gym.
13th Annual Garlic Festival
- TONASKET – The Okanogan River 13th Annual Garlic Festival is being held Friday, Aug. 24 (12 p.m. to 8 p.m.) and Saturday, Aug. 25 (9 a.m. to 4 p.m.) at Tonasket History Park, Locust Way and First Ave. Admission is free. Enjoy live entertainment, fabulous food, fresh produce, handmade goods and a live auction on Friday and Saturday. This is a Community Cultural Center event. For more information call (509) 486-1328.
Highland Stitchers Quilt Show
- MOLSON – The first annual quilt show will be held on Saturday, Aug. 25 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Molson Grange Hall. Pulled pork sandwiches and coleslaw will be served at 11 a.m. Bring a piece of fabric and exchange if for another piece of fabric of the same size. Quilts, fat quarters, grab bags, table runners and other miscellaneous items will be available for sale. Door prizes will be drawn every half hour (you must be present to win). For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org or Vicky Didenhover at (509) 485-3020.
Mason’s Benefit Auction
OROVILLE – Aurora Masonic Lodge will have a benefit auction, benefiting local children’s needs and needy families, on Saturday, Aug. 25 from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. at the Oroville American Legion Hall. Entry is free, drinks and snacks will be available. For more information or to make a donation call Tim Boyer at (509) 476-2626 or Ken Neal at (509) 476-2033.
Chesaw Hot August Nights
CHESAW – Chesaw’s Hot August Nights Car and Tractor show will be held on Saturday, Aug. 25. Enjoy the car and tractor show, barbecue chicken or steak, live music, a beer garden, flea market and swap meet. Registration begins at 11 a.m. For more information call (509) 485-2174.
Conservation District at Garlic Festival
TONASKET – The Okanogan Conservation District will be hosting a booth at the Okanogan River Garlic Festival at History Park in Tonasket on Saturday, Aug. 25. Visitors to the booth can learn about the status of the ongoing project to improve water quality in Bonaparte Creek, sign up for the creek clean-up in September and find out how the conservation district benefits local residents. Kids can take home cook stickers and magnets.
Housing Authority Special Meeting
The Oroville Housing Authority will be holding a Special Meeting, Monday, Aug. 27 afternoon at 4:30 p.m. at the new office at 623 Fir St., Lot 6, for the purpose of authorizing the E.D. to secure financing to purchase new office and rental property. No other business will take place. All OHA meetings are open to the public.
Veterans Benefit Seminar
TONASKET – A seminar for veterans and widow(er) of veterans benefits will be held on Tuesday, Aug. 28 at 6 p.m. at the North Valley Hospital Board Room. All residents of Okanogan and surrounding counties are invited to this special seminar presentation. Please RSVP to (509) 486-3177.
OCCAC Board of Directors Meeting
- OKANOGAN – The Okanogan County Community Action Council Board of Directors will hold their regular board meeting Wednesday, Aug. 29 at 5:15 p.m. at Community Action, 424 S. 2nd, Okanogan, The public is invited and encouraged to attend. For more information contact Lael Duncan at (509) 422-4041.
Veterans Wall Plaques
TONASKET – Sept. 13 has been set to install the next wall plaques at the U.S. Armed Forces Legacy Site in Tonasket. Approved applications must be submitted by Saturday, Sept. 1, 2012. Don’t miss this opportunity (it may be your last chance this year) to honor a veteran in this beautiful, inspirational tribute to all veterans of the United Stated Armed Forces.
Farmer’s Market Special
- OROVILLE – Enjoy the acoustic stylings of Broken Arrow while you shop for local crafts, fresh produce, flea market and yard sale items at the Oroville Public Library, Saturday, Sept. 1. This special market is open from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., new vendors are welcome and the booth fee will benefit the library. Call 476-2662 for details and watch this column for updates to our new musical line-up.
Local Food Banks
- OROVILLE – The Oroville food bank operates every Thursday from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., excluding holidays, in the basement of the Seventh Day Adventist Church. For more information, call Jeff Austin at 476-3978 or Sarah Umana at 476-2386.
- TONASKET – The Tonasket food bank operates every Thursday from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. at Sarge’s Burger Bunker, 101 Hwy 97 N. For more information contact Jack Gavin at (509) 486-2480.