Pot and the city still under debate OROVILLE – While there were no surprises in Mayor Chuck Spieth’s 2014 appointment of department heads, the city council’s first meeting of the new year, Tuesday, Jan. 7, was surprisingly short. Spieth’s appointed, or rather reappointed: Mick Howe, city attorney, Rod Noel, city superintendent; Kathy Jones, city clerk-treasurer; [...]
OROVILLE – While they may never have been accused of it, at least to their faces, the Oroville City Council “literally” conducted business in the dark when the power went out about halfway through their meeting Tuesday, Sept. 17.
OROVILLE – The preliminary results of the bid to construct a new water reservoir north of Oroville has come in higher than what the city’s engineers, Varella and Associates, had estimated.
OROVILLE – The Oroville City Council approved a 2013 Budget of $8 million, $1.5 million more than last year due to additional projects.
OROVILLE – The Oroville City Council approved a one percent increase in the city’s ad valorem tax, the most they can ask for without a vote of the people, at their Tuesday, Nov. 6 meeting.
The measure would allow the city to collect $252,742 during 2013 to add to the city’s coffers, according to City Clerk Kathy Jones.
Poll of the Week
Should the Oroville School Board have renewed OHS Social Studies Teacher Ryan Frazier's Contract
- Yes, he has made a change in students' lives and got them excited about school (46%, 64 Votes)
- Yes, the board should have gone with Principal Kristin Sarmiento's evaluation and recommendation (25%, 35 Votes)
- I don't have enough information to say one way or another (16%, 22 Votes)
- Yes, with the understanding he address Supt. Steve Quick's concerns (14%, 19 Votes)
- No, the issue went through the superintendent and board and should be dropped there (9%, 13 Votes)
- No, we elect local school boards to make these sorts of decisions for us (8%, 11 Votes)
- No, Supt. Steve Quick recommended the first-year probationary teacher's contract not be renewed (5%, 7 Votes)
Total Voters: 140