WINTHROP – Hotshot crews from La Grande, Ore. and Entiat, Wash. arrived in the Methow Valley Saturday to catch helicopter flights in to work on the Sun Mountain Fire. The fire is still estimated at about 35 acres and is burning in the steep terrain of the Lake Chelan Sawtooth Wilderness; in the south fork of War Creek drainage, southwest of Winthrop.
About Shannon O'Brien
Stories by Shannon O'Brien
TONASKET – In a typical year, many of the winter closures on U.S. Forest Service roads in Okanogan County are lifted at the beginning of April. With this year’s snowpack, some higher elevation closures will need to remain in place for a while longer.
TONASKET – The U.S. Forest Service recently announced that it had awarded more than $122,300 to four Pacific Northwest national forests to support conservation education programs, including almost $11,000 for high school students in low-income areas of the Okanogan Valley studying the effects of the 2006 Tripod Fire.
TONASKET – Mark Morris, wraps-up a career of more than 40 years with the U.S. Forest Service this week, including the last decade as Tonasket’s District Ranger. He said his new to-do list is pretty long and includes spending more time on horseback in the Pasayten Wilderness.
Poll of the Week
Should the Oroville School Board have renewed OHS Social Studies Teacher Ryan Frazier's Contract
- Yes, he has made a change in students' lives and got them excited about school (46%, 64 Votes)
- Yes, the board should have gone with Principal Kristin Sarmiento's evaluation and recommendation (25%, 35 Votes)
- I don't have enough information to say one way or another (16%, 22 Votes)
- Yes, with the understanding he address Supt. Steve Quick's concerns (14%, 19 Votes)
- No, the issue went through the superintendent and board and should be dropped there (9%, 13 Votes)
- No, we elect local school boards to make these sorts of decisions for us (8%, 11 Votes)
- No, Supt. Steve Quick recommended the first-year probationary teacher's contract not be renewed (5%, 7 Votes)
Total Voters: 140