OLYMPIA – The Washington State Department of Natural Resources (DNR) responded to fires brought on by lighting and hot, dry weather conditions on July 8 and 9. Of the 13 fires that started Monday, all have been contained due to the work of firefighters across central Washington.
About Janet Pearce
Stories by Janet Pearce
We are privileged to live in Washington State. The Pacific Northwest is known for its shining lakes, lush greenery and majestic mountains and many choose to live among these surroundings. But with this great privilege also comes a great responsibility; we must preserve these natural resources we hold dear and work to maintain our homes and communities in a way that minimizes their vulnerability to wildfire.
Poll of the Week
Should the Oroville School Board have renewed OHS Social Studies Teacher Ryan Frazier's Contract
- Yes, he has made a change in students' lives and got them excited about school (46%, 64 Votes)
- Yes, the board should have gone with Principal Kristin Sarmiento's evaluation and recommendation (25%, 35 Votes)
- I don't have enough information to say one way or another (16%, 22 Votes)
- Yes, with the understanding he address Supt. Steve Quick's concerns (14%, 19 Votes)
- No, the issue went through the superintendent and board and should be dropped there (9%, 13 Votes)
- No, we elect local school boards to make these sorts of decisions for us (8%, 11 Votes)
- No, Supt. Steve Quick recommended the first-year probationary teacher's contract not be renewed (5%, 7 Votes)
Total Voters: 140