OROVILLE – Molson Midsummer Fest couldn’t have asked for a more perfect day as the sun came out and the only clouds in a bright blue sky were the fluffy white kind that didn’t threaten rain.
About Gary DeVonGary DeVon is the managing editor of the Okanogan Valley Gazette-Tribune and celebrated his 25th year at the newspaper in August 2012. He graduated from Gonzaga University with a degree in Communications - Print Journalism, with an emphasis in photojournalism. He is a proud alumnus of Oroville High School. His family first settled in Okanogan County in the late 1800s. His parents are the Judy DeVon and the late Larry DeVon and he has two younger brothers - Dante and Michael. Many family members still call Oroville home. He is single with a grown daughter, Segornae Douglas and a young granddaughter, Erin.
Stories by Gary DeVon
TONASKET – The spectacular 50-foot tall flagpole was dedicated at the U.S. Armed Forces Legacy Project in Tonasket with veterans, dignitaries and well-wishers in attendance last Monday morning.
OKANOGAN – Last week’s candidate filing period has drawn several contenders for county, state and federal offices – while a few positions remain open.
OROVILLE – Those with hulk vehicles, trashed yards and other violations of Oroville’s municipal codes beware, the city has a code enforcement officer who might just cite you if you don’t clean up your mess.
OROVILLE – An Oroville couple has again approached the city asking for their help in getting rid of the sewer gas smell they say is coming from the Eastlake sewer project.
Neil and Debbi Vigas told the council the odor is much worse as the weather warms up and has made it so they can open their windows, use their deck or yard.
KITTITAS – On Friday May 21, the Oroville Track Team traveled to Kittitas for the District Meet and the Lady Hornets returned with the championship.
OROVILLE – America and Luis Perez have reopened the Hornet’s Nest Restaurant on Main Street in Oroville.
OROVILLE – The Oroville City Council set new private park-use fees, as well as authorized a new legal description and map for Veteran’s Memorial Park as part of its annexation.
OROVILLE – The Oroville City Council approved a grant application to fund a sewer extension to several units of permanent farm worker housing to be developed off Sawtell Road.
OROVILLE – Globe at the Beach opened at Veranda Beach Resort in Oroville for Mother’s Day Weekend and showcased a new menu for summer.
Poll of the Week
Should the Oroville School Board have renewed OHS Social Studies Teacher Ryan Frazier's Contract
- Yes, he has made a change in students' lives and got them excited about school (46%, 64 Votes)
- Yes, the board should have gone with Principal Kristin Sarmiento's evaluation and recommendation (25%, 35 Votes)
- I don't have enough information to say one way or another (16%, 22 Votes)
- Yes, with the understanding he address Supt. Steve Quick's concerns (14%, 19 Votes)
- No, the issue went through the superintendent and board and should be dropped there (9%, 13 Votes)
- No, we elect local school boards to make these sorts of decisions for us (8%, 11 Votes)
- No, Supt. Steve Quick recommended the first-year probationary teacher's contract not be renewed (5%, 7 Votes)
Total Voters: 140