WASHINGTON, D.C. – The seizure near Curlew of 310 pounds of the “designer” drug Ecstasy, with an estimated street value of $9,373,329, made U.S. Custom and Border Protection’s top ten list of seizures on the U.S. border in 2010.
About Gary DeVonGary DeVon is the managing editor of the Okanogan Valley Gazette-Tribune and celebrated his 25th year at the newspaper in August 2012. He graduated from Gonzaga University with a degree in Communications - Print Journalism, with an emphasis in photojournalism. He is a proud alumnus of Oroville High School. His family first settled in Okanogan County in the late 1800s. His parents are the Judy DeVon and the late Larry DeVon and he has two younger brothers - Dante and Michael. Many family members still call Oroville home. He is single with a grown daughter, Segornae Douglas and a young granddaughter, Erin.
Stories by Gary DeVon
OROVILLE – The Camaray Motel in Oroville is under new management and they want the business to become a valuable part of the community.
OROVILLE – Fresh is what Yo Yo’s Restaurant is all about – fresh food and fresh ideas, says David Giles, who has opened the restaurant back up after it was recently purchased for his daughter Catherine.
Tours of North Valley Hospital available
Time to welcome innew decade with new year
The end of 2010 marks the end of the first decade of the21st Century – with the dawning of 2011 it’s time to welcome in a new decadealong with the new year.
OKANOGAN – There will be a Special Election on Tuesday, Feb. 8, 2011 to decide whether to change the make-up of the Oroville School Board to allow one at-large position.
OROVILLE – At their Tuesday, Dec. 21 meeting, Oroville Councilman Tony Koepke brought up the need for an ordinance regarding those who want to plow driveways and sidewalks.
OROVILLE – Superintendent Steve Quick reported to the school board about his trip to the Dominican Republic and meeting with the foundation that has provided exchanges between Oroville and a high school there the last two years
OROVILLE – The Oroville City Council adopted a 2011 budget of $6,368,500, approximately $2 million less than the 2010 budget due to fewer major projects slated in the new year.
TONASKET – All four 2011 officer positions for the Tonasket Chamber of Commerce are now filled.
Poll of the Week
Should the Oroville School Board have renewed OHS Social Studies Teacher Ryan Frazier's Contract
- Yes, he has made a change in students' lives and got them excited about school (46%, 64 Votes)
- Yes, the board should have gone with Principal Kristin Sarmiento's evaluation and recommendation (25%, 35 Votes)
- I don't have enough information to say one way or another (16%, 22 Votes)
- Yes, with the understanding he address Supt. Steve Quick's concerns (14%, 19 Votes)
- No, the issue went through the superintendent and board and should be dropped there (9%, 13 Votes)
- No, we elect local school boards to make these sorts of decisions for us (8%, 11 Votes)
- No, Supt. Steve Quick recommended the first-year probationary teacher's contract not be renewed (5%, 7 Votes)
Total Voters: 140