Same man arrested for threats a year after previous arrest for 'threats to

Patrick M. ShivnenOCSO Photo

Patrick M. ShivnenOCSO Photo

ROVILLE – Okanogan County Sheriff’s Deputies arrested a man for pointing a shotgun at another man one day shy of exactly one year after he had been arrested on threats to kill charges for holding two hunters at gunpoint.

On Tuesday, Oct. 18, deputies responded to the Prior Loop Road area near Oroville regarding a neighbor’s report that Patrick M. Shivnen, 52, of Tenino and Oroville, Wash. had pointed a shotgun at him.

“When deputies arrived at the residence Shivnen was not there, but his vehicle was and it appeared that he had run into the woods to hide,” said Sheriff Frank Rogers in a press release.

Nine days later on Thursday, Oct. 29 when deputies returned to Shivnen’s property with arrest and search warrants he was still not home. However, during a search a hunting rifle was found buried on the property along with several cameras set up around the residence, according to Sheriff Rogers.

“Shivnen is a felon and could not possess any firearms. (He) had been arrested last year on Oct. 17, 2010 after he assaulted two subjects with a shotgun, held them for about half an hour and threatened to kill them. Shivnen then released the subjects but stole their shotgun. Shivnen was later arrested for the charges and went to court,” writes Rogers.

On Saturday, Oct. 29 Deputy Terry Shrable was driving past the Omak Inn Motel at around 8:45 a.m. when he spotted Shivnen’s pickup parked in the parking lot. Deputy Shrable began to walk towards the building when Shivnen walked out of the motel and went to his vehicle. The deputy contacted Shivnen at his vehicle and arrested him without incident.

A search of Shivnen’s vehicle was conducted and another 30-30 rifle was located inside. Shivnen was transported to the Okanogan County Jail and booked. Shivnen has a felony conviction for harassment threats to kill with a guilty disposition date of Feb. 17, 2011,” the sheriff said.

In the incident last year, two hunters, a 39-year-old from Tacoma and a 50-year-old from Lake Stevens, Wash., shot a grouse on Prior Loop Road and were confronted by Shiven who owns a cabin in the area. He told them they were trespassing and poked one of the men with a shotgun in the stomach and ordered him to the ground. He then struck the other in the face and ordered him to the ground also. Shrinen took the shotgun from the one hunter and then held them a gunpoint for over a half hour. He then told them they could leave.

“Shivren repeatedly told them he was going to kill them,” said Sheriff Rogers last year. “The two hunters contacted the sheriff’s office and Shrivnen was arrested without incident.”

In that case he was booked on assault in the first degree, robbery in the first degree and harrasment-threats to kill.