Starting at 4:00 a.m., the mine sweeper YMS-481, along with others of its class, began its second day of clearing the waters near Tarakan City, on the east side of Borneo. Heavily fortified by the Japanese, the oil produced there was of such a high grade that it didn’t need to be refined before being [...]
It was one of those moments made for a sports movie.
This week, to celebrate the first anniversary of my employment at the Gazette-Tribune, I temporarily allow the issue to highjack my sports column to talk about the politics of eating Big Bird, and how the thought set off a Twitter bomb with “Tonasket” written all over it … sorry, better make that #Tonasket, since we are talking Twitter.
It’s been a month since my last column, and while there is plenty to write about, nothing sticks out as something to write about at length. The smoke and the flies that have infested our office at the Gazette-Tribune aren’t the only things that are bugging me. So, here we go…
Poll of the Week
Should the Oroville School Board have renewed OHS Social Studies Teacher Ryan Frazier's Contract
- Yes, he has made a change in students' lives and got them excited about school (46%, 64 Votes)
- Yes, the board should have gone with Principal Kristin Sarmiento's evaluation and recommendation (25%, 35 Votes)
- I don't have enough information to say one way or another (16%, 22 Votes)
- Yes, with the understanding he address Supt. Steve Quick's concerns (14%, 19 Votes)
- No, the issue went through the superintendent and board and should be dropped there (9%, 13 Votes)
- No, we elect local school boards to make these sorts of decisions for us (8%, 11 Votes)
- No, Supt. Steve Quick recommended the first-year probationary teacher's contract not be renewed (5%, 7 Votes)
Total Voters: 140