TONASKET – A hometown favorite, Brandon Weller, was the overall winner of this year’s Tonasket Demolition Derby in the aptly-named lime green Rough and Tough 1974 Town and Country station wagon.
The event was ran in four heats with Tonasket’s Weller and the #4 car coming in first place in heats two, four and five, the main heat which featured 19 cars out of the 23 that began the derby. Winning this year’s Powder Puff was Katie Weller, a kindergarten teacher at Tonasket Elementary School. She also smashed the Rough and Tough to victory. Kevin Fletcher from Omak, was the winner of the Mechnics’ Race.
The Demolition Derby is sponsored by the Tonasket Commancheros Rodeo Club as a yearly fundraiser. Taking the prize for Most Wrecked was Grant Leavell in the #441 care and John Harrison, from Okanogan took the Farthest Travelled Award.
Here’s how they all finished and the sponsor of each heat:
Heat one: Sponsor by Junction
1. #69 Jordon Montanye, Tonasket; 2. #97 Ben Newman, Tonasket; 3. #99 Jared Ramsey, Tonasket and 4. #33 Mike Jensen, Okanogan.
Heat Two: sponsor George Frank
1. #44 Branden Weller, Tonasket; 2. #73 Jude Hines, Okanogan; 3. #161 Travis Fox, Tonasket and 4. #441 Grant Leavell, Tonasket
Heat Three: Parkers Orchard
1. #22 Nick McCallum, Tonasket; 2. #21 Terry Hill, Tonasket; 3. #00 Keath Montanye, Tonasket and 4. #69 Jordon Montanye, Tonasket
Heat four: Tims Country Saw Shop
1. #44 Branden Weller, Tonasket; 2.#85 Sean Wallace, Oroville; 3. #22 William Bettelyoun, Oroville and 4. #17 Rich Langie, Omak,
Main: Montanye Logging
1. #44 Branden Weller, Tonasket; 2. #303 James Caveness, Okanogan; 3. #69 Jordon Montanye, Tonasket and 4. #21 Terry Hill, Tonasket
Powder Puff: Stampede Awards and signs
1. #44 Katie Weller, Tonasket
Mechanics Race: Kuhlers Bar and Grill
1. #300 Kevin Fletcher, Omak
Most Wrecked: NAPA Allen’s Auto Parts
1. #441 Grant Leavell, Tonasket
Farthest Traveled: OK Chevrolet
#3 John Harrison, Okanogan