Learn about your local choices
OKANOGAN COUNTY – Local community forums provide an opportunity to learn about the candidates before you mark your ballot and there are several opportunities this month to meet and listen to the candidates running for local office.
Forums provide a structured format for candidates to present their approach to governance and their views and plans for the future. Each candidate answers the same set of questions in a set time period. The organizers select a moderator who presents the questions and issues that are usually collected from a variety of sources beforehand but also may include questions from the audience. The audience can listen to and observe how the candidates respond. You find areas of agreement or disagreement. You look for a good understanding of the issues and a comfortableness interacting with others in demanding situations.
If you have not attended a community forum yet, here are five opportunities for you before the Nov. 8 election.
- Oct. 5, Builder’s Forum, 6-9 p.m., Okanogan PUD, 1331 2nd Avenue N., Okanogan, sponsored by Builder’s Association
- Oct. 6, Oroville Forum, 7-9 p.m., Vicki’s Backdoor Club, 1413 Main Street, Oroville, sponsored by Oroville Chamber of Commerce.
- Oct. 12, Okanogan Forum, 7-9 p.m., Okanogan Grange, 305 Tyee Street, Okanogan, sponsored by the Okanogan Grange #1103.
- Oct. 13, Grand Coulee Dam Area Forum, 7-9 p.m., Lake Roosevelt School, 503 Crest Drive, Coulee Dam, sponsored by Grand Coulee Dam Area Chamber of Commerce
- Oct. 17, Twisp Forum, 6:30-8 p.m., Twisp Valley Grange Hall, 344 W. 2nd Avenue, Twisp, sponsored by the Twisp Grange