OROVILLE – Oroville is in line to get Veteran’s Memorial State Park, however, the Colville Confederated Tribes has filed suit against the state for its method of determining the criteria for the transfer.
TONASKET – The new teachers in the Tonasket School District say they feel welcomed by the community since school started.
“The Tonasket School District has been wonderful,” Amy Cheeseman, part-time third grade teacher, part-time reading intervention instructor at Tonasket Elementary School, said. “From day one I have felt welcomed, supported and encouraged. It is comforting to be working in such a close knit community.”
OROVILLE – Three new teacher joined the staff of Oroville School District with the beginning of the 2009-2010 school year last month.
TONASKET – The second annual Breast Cancer Awareness Month has begun in the North Valley Hospital District and will continue throughout the month of October.
OROVILLE – All the pears and most of the golden delicious apples have already been picked and growers are moving on to harvesting their red varieties.
SPOKANE – A small delegation of representatives of Oroville travelled to Spokane last week to ask the state Parks and Recreation Commission to transfer Osoyoos Lake Veteran’s Memorial State park to the city.
OROVILLE – Oroville will participate in a program that’s goal is to put energy efficient pellet stoves in local homes and businesses while bringing jobs by turning salvaged wood products into pellet fuel.
OROVILLE – Ernie Bartelson, Superintendent at Oroville School District, reported an enrollment increase of about 85 students over last year.
OKANOGAN – The murder trials for three of the defendants in the Michelle Kitterman case have been continued to Nov. 17.
OROVILLE – The Oroville City Council discussed a variety of subjects at their Tuesday, Sept. 15 meeting, including the bio-solids grant, the future of the Visitor’s Information Center and training for IV Techs.
Poll of the Week
Should the Oroville School Board have renewed OHS Social Studies Teacher Ryan Frazier's Contract
- Yes, he has made a change in students' lives and got them excited about school (46%, 64 Votes)
- Yes, the board should have gone with Principal Kristin Sarmiento's evaluation and recommendation (25%, 35 Votes)
- I don't have enough information to say one way or another (16%, 22 Votes)
- Yes, with the understanding he address Supt. Steve Quick's concerns (14%, 19 Votes)
- No, the issue went through the superintendent and board and should be dropped there (9%, 13 Votes)
- No, we elect local school boards to make these sorts of decisions for us (8%, 11 Votes)
- No, Supt. Steve Quick recommended the first-year probationary teacher's contract not be renewed (5%, 7 Votes)
Total Voters: 140