- OKANOGAN – Improvements are on the way for the busy US 97/Cameron Lake Road intersection – and local residents and drivers are invited to share their thoughts on several design options at an open house next month.
- Options under consideration include adding extra turn lanes, separating the cross streets or building a roundabout. Public discussion on the benefits and trade-offs of each option will help determine the final design for the intersection. Drivers and residents can share their feedback with Washington State Department of Transportation engineers at an open house on Wednesday, Sept. 19 at the state’s maintenance office on US 97:
- &#149; What: US 97/Cameron Lake Road intersection improvements
- &#149; Where: WSDOT’s maintenance facility conference room, 28862 Highway 97, Okanogan
- &#149; When: Wednesday, Sept. 19 from 3 to 6 p.m.
- “We’ve looked at the different types of collisions and the traffic flow at both the Cameron Lake/Armory Junction Roads intersection and the nearby Oak Street/Airport Road intersection,” said WSDOT project engineer Kevin Waligorski. “Our studies show that a roundabout may be the most effective way to reduce congestion and collisions at the intersection, but we want to hear from folks who drive this area daily.”
- &#149; The US 97/Cameron Lake Road intersection was the site of 11 collisions in the past five years, and handles nearly 6,200 vehicles per day.
- &#149; The nearby Oak Street intersection handles approximately 4,100 vehicles per day.
- &#149; Construction to improve the area is expected to begin in summer 2013.
- Find more information about the $2 million US 97 Cameron Lake Road intersection improvement project- including a description of the problem, alternative solutions, budget information and a proposed project schedule – online at:www.wsdot.wa.gov/Projects/US97/CameronLakeRdIntersection/
- An email list, US 97 Chelan to B.C. Border, has been set up so those who wish can subscribe and get updates sent directly to them on this project and other activity in the section of US 97 – at: https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/WADOT/subscriber/new?topic_id=WADOT_271
- A Spanish language translator will be present and the meeting site is accessible to people with disabilities. Specific accommodations can be arranged in advance by calling (509) 667-2860.
Open house this September to discuss US 97/Cameron Lake Road intersection
About Jeff Adamson
Subscribe & Connect
Poll of the Week
Should the Oroville School Board have renewed OHS Social Studies Teacher Ryan Frazier's Contract
- Yes, he has made a change in students' lives and got them excited about school (46%, 64 Votes)
- Yes, the board should have gone with Principal Kristin Sarmiento's evaluation and recommendation (25%, 35 Votes)
- I don't have enough information to say one way or another (16%, 22 Votes)
- Yes, with the understanding he address Supt. Steve Quick's concerns (14%, 19 Votes)
- No, the issue went through the superintendent and board and should be dropped there (9%, 13 Votes)
- No, we elect local school boards to make these sorts of decisions for us (8%, 11 Votes)
- No, Supt. Steve Quick recommended the first-year probationary teacher's contract not be renewed (5%, 7 Votes)
Total Voters: 140