- OROVILLE – Two juniors at Oroville High School are vying for the title 2012 May Festival Queen this year – Dayna Roley and Ali Miller.
- Selection night for the 2012 Oroville May Queen and Princess will be held Feb. 20 at 7 p.m. in the Oroville High School Commons. The community is invited to attend and help select this year’s queen and princess. Selection Night activities for the royalty candidates include speeches, modeling and poise, as well as answering impromptu questions. After which, the community and judges will vote on their selection and the royalty will be named.
- “We hope to see you there,” say organizers.
- The following are short introductions written by each of the candidates:
- My name is Ali Miller and my parents are Benie and Scott Miller and I have a sister, Kendal.
- I am very active in school and the community. I run cross country, play basketball and tennis and I’m a member of the O-Club. I’m also a member of the Border Patrol Explorer Post 0023. I’ve very proud to be able to participate in all these activities and still maintain a good grade point average. I’m still unsure about my future, but I’m looking into possibly joining the Air Force.
- I love to hang out with friends. It’s never boring when we’re all together. Not to brag, but I think I have the best friends anyone could ask for.
- I have been a part of May Day festivities since kindergarten from riding my bicycle through the parade and passing out candy, being third grade royalty with Connor, May Pole Dance to playing in the 3 on 3 Basketball Tournament.
- May Day is a big event when the community gets together and has a fun time. I would love to be your 2012 May Festival Queen. I’d be very honored and proud to represent our town. I’m very responsible, witty, mature and reliable. I think I’d be a great candidate for the job.
- My name is Dayna Roley and my parents are Ross and Neysa and my sisters are Bethany and Bonnie.
- I have been a cheerleader for football and basketball since the seventh grade. I plan on continuing cheer next year as a senior. This is my third year working on the yearbook staff and I have also been a member of FBLA, class presidencies and photography club. In addition, I participate actively with my church youth group doing service projects, activities and being a youth leader at church camp. I love children and plan on getting a degree in elementary education. I also enjoy drawing, doing crafts, photography and music.
- My family moved to Oroville when I was in the third grade. We very quickly came to love living here. There is a true sense of community… of people who are neighbors, neighbors who have become friends and friends who have become family. Oroville is a community of people that gathers together to support each other. Memories, relationships and traditions are created in communities like this one.
- This is why I’d be honored to represent Oroville. I hope I will have a chance to tell people about our great community to share about our wonderful people, our celebrations and traditions, our businesses, neighborhoods and schools. And encourage them to come enjoy our beautiful scenery, wonderful weather and plentiful recreational opportunities.