Though lineups were depleted by athletes committed to the Okanogan County Fair, Tonasket hosted its season-opening cross country meet on Saturday, Sept. 8, with 74 runners competing.
About Brent BakerBrent is a reporter for the Gazette-Tribune. Prior to working at the G-T, he was the sports editor for Sunrise Publishing from 2000-2005 in Michigan. He subsequently owned and operated Buckland Media, a high school sports website, in Michigan until 2010. He and his wife Kim, who have an adult son, moved to Tonasket in 2010. Brent started work at the G-T in 2011.
Stories by Brent Baker
2012 girls soccer standings, scores and schedules. Scroll down below standings block for score / schedule links.
2012 volleyball standings, scores and schedules. Scroll down below standings block for score / schedule links.
Tonasket beat Kettle Falls and Oroville edged Mary Walker to highlight area football action on Sept. 7.
Tonasket football coach Jay Hawkins told his team that Friday’s defensive performance was the best he’s seen a Tiger team put forth in several seasons.
It would be hard to argue after the Bulldogs put together just one solid drive despite having most of its key offensive players back from a team that won at Tonasket last year. The Tigers held Kettle to 220 yards of offense, 70 of which came on the Bulldogs’ second possession of the game and resulted in their only score as Tonasket rolled, 26-6.
The Oroville football team’s defense stiffened and the offense put together its best drive of the young season when it needed it most as the Hornets edged Mary Walker in Springdale on Friday, Sept. 7, 19-12.
2012 football standings, scores and schedules. Scroll down below standings block for score / schedule links.
REPUBLIC – Oroville won its first set at Republic on Sept. 6, and had a shot at taking a commanding 2-0 lead, but couldn’t pull out the second set and wound up losing in four. The Tigers came back for a 19-25, 25-23, 25-14, 25-6 victory. “(They) played an amazing first and second set,” said [...]
Tonasket’s girls soccer team scored an eventful 4-3 victory over Liberty Bell in the Tigers’ season-opener on Thursday, Sept. 6, notching a pair of short-handed goals in the final 10 minutes to earn the come-from-behind win.
Poll of the Week
Should the Oroville School Board have renewed OHS Social Studies Teacher Ryan Frazier's Contract
- Yes, he has made a change in students' lives and got them excited about school (46%, 64 Votes)
- Yes, the board should have gone with Principal Kristin Sarmiento's evaluation and recommendation (25%, 35 Votes)
- I don't have enough information to say one way or another (16%, 22 Votes)
- Yes, with the understanding he address Supt. Steve Quick's concerns (14%, 19 Votes)
- No, the issue went through the superintendent and board and should be dropped there (9%, 13 Votes)
- No, we elect local school boards to make these sorts of decisions for us (8%, 11 Votes)
- No, Supt. Steve Quick recommended the first-year probationary teacher's contract not be renewed (5%, 7 Votes)
Total Voters: 140