TONASKET – The Tonasket School Board approved the purchase of the IMC Life Skills curriculum for use in the elementary school at its Monday, June 11 school board meeting.
About Brent BakerBrent is a reporter for the Gazette-Tribune. Prior to working at the G-T, he was the sports editor for Sunrise Publishing from 2000-2005 in Michigan. He subsequently owned and operated Buckland Media, a high school sports website, in Michigan until 2010. He and his wife Kim, who have an adult son, moved to Tonasket in 2010. Brent started work at the G-T in 2011.
Stories by Brent Baker
Lula Gardener, 105-years-old, shares school memories with TES 4th graders
- TONASKET – The more things change, the more they seem to stay the same.
- Though the world is a dramatically different place than it was 100 years ago, five students in Scott Olson’s fourth grade class found that the experience of attending school is in many ways similar to what it was in 1912.
- And they got to find that out from someone who was there at the time as they paid a visit to 105-year-old Lula Gardener, who was a first grader at Horse Spring Coulee’s “Bungalow School” a century ago and attended there through the eighth grade.
TONASKET – Tonasket High School’s Class of 2012 topped off its senior year with graduation ceremonies on Saturday, June 9, fittingly displaying its flair for the artistic throughout the commencement ceremony.
- TONASKET – Colby Reily of Stratford, WA, claimed the 8th Annual Jeremy Ives Memorial Bullriding title at the Tonasket Founders Day Rodeo on June 1-2, as the only bullrider to score in the short go to conclude the competition.
Of the eight finalists, seven were thrown from their bulls before completing their ride. Reily’s 84 enabled him to jump to the forefront and claim the Jeremy Ives Memorial Beltbuckle and jacket, edging out Cheyne Olney of Toppenish.
- For story, more photos and full results see sports or click RODEO.
TONASKET – NAC Archtecture was awarded the bid for design of the next phase of North Valley Hospital’s basement construction project. Lead architect Michael O’Malley was on hand for the Board of Commissioners’ Thursday, May 31 meeting to give a brief talk on the next phase of the project.
Note: honorable mentions list only Tonasket and Oroville entries. BASEBALL All-Caribou Trail League Player of the Year: Kyle Weiler, Cashmere Coach of the Year: Jeff Carlson, Cashmere Sportsmanship: Tonasket 1st Team Kyle Weiler, Cashmere, sr. Colton Loomis, Cashmere, sr. Alex Chipman, Cashmere, sr. Cooper Elliott, Cashmere, sr. Mitchell Darlington, Cashmere, sr. Jake Dilly, Cashmere, sr. [...]
TONASKET – The Tonasket School Board approved the beginnings of a school garden and a pilot program to explore expeditionary learning at its Tuesday, May 29 board meeting.
TONASKET – Colby Reily of Stratford, WA, claimed the 8th Annual Jeremy Ives Memorial Bullriding title at the Tonasket Founders Day Rodeo on June 1-2, as the only bullrider to score in the short go to conclude the competition.
Summary of how Caribou Trail League and Central Washington League North Division teams and athletes fared in state tournament competition over Memorial Day weekend.
TONASKET – Tonasket motocross racer Dyllan Gage turned in a top performance in the 50-mile race at the 2012 Desert 100 near Odessa in April, finishing third overall in all age classes out of 177 that finished and about 230 that started.