Oroville’s girls basketball team edged Tonasket 35-33 in a white-knuckler on Friday, Dec. 7.
About Brent BakerBrent is a reporter for the Gazette-Tribune. Prior to working at the G-T, he was the sports editor for Sunrise Publishing from 2000-2005 in Michigan. He subsequently owned and operated Buckland Media, a high school sports website, in Michigan until 2010. He and his wife Kim, who have an adult son, moved to Tonasket in 2010. Brent started work at the G-T in 2011.
Stories by Brent Baker
OROVILLE – It’s no surprise that a young team facing a superior opponent might struggle, and that was certainly the case for the Oroville boys as they fell hard to Chelan in a non-league basketball contest on Saturday, Dec. 8, 74-22. Hornets coach Allen Allie said that while he’s seeing plenty of improvement with his [...]
CTL and CWL Scores for Dec. 8.
Caribou Trail League and Central Washington 2B League Standings
Caribou Trail League and Central Washington League Standings
OROVILLE – Despite absorbing a 33-point loss, Oroville girls basketball coach Mike Bourn was happier with his team’s performance Saturday, Dec. 8, than he was with the previous night’s two-point win over Tonasket. “That’s a very, very good Chelan team,” he said. “Courtney Dietrich is 6-1 and they had a couple of other tall players, [...]
Caribou Trail League and Central Washington 2B League Scores Girls Basketball Oroville 35, Tonasket 33 (NL) Almira-Coulee/Hartline 40, Omak 36 (NL) Brewster 69, Reardan 66 (NL) Wapato 53, White Swan 44 (NL) MLCA at Kittitas (NL) Sunnyside Christian 57, Riverside Christian 17 (NL) Boys Basketball Tonasket 70, Oroville 47 (NL) Almira-Coulee/Hartline 44, at Omak 24 (NL) Brewster 60, Reardan 40 (NL) Bridgeport 61, Mansfield [...]
TONASKET – Unlike some other government entities, the City of Tonasket can’t spend millions of dollars more than it collects in revenues. So, faced with rising costs and sinking tax collections, the Tonasket City Council is facing the reality of slashing its budget while still trying to provide city services. That was the discussion that [...]
TONASKET – When North Valley Hospital CEO Linda Michel, CFO Helen Verhasselt and the Board of Commissioners tried to find data for a time when running the Assisted Living facility was profitable, it turned out there was no such data for any time within the last seven years. As Chief Financial Officer Verhasselt discussed at [...]
Poll of the Week
Should the Oroville School Board have renewed OHS Social Studies Teacher Ryan Frazier's Contract
- Yes, he has made a change in students' lives and got them excited about school (46%, 64 Votes)
- Yes, the board should have gone with Principal Kristin Sarmiento's evaluation and recommendation (25%, 35 Votes)
- I don't have enough information to say one way or another (16%, 22 Votes)
- Yes, with the understanding he address Supt. Steve Quick's concerns (14%, 19 Votes)
- No, the issue went through the superintendent and board and should be dropped there (9%, 13 Votes)
- No, we elect local school boards to make these sorts of decisions for us (8%, 11 Votes)
- No, Supt. Steve Quick recommended the first-year probationary teacher's contract not be renewed (5%, 7 Votes)
Total Voters: 140